Keep Teeth Healthy with Regular Dental Exams in Palatine, IL
There’s no better way to keep your smile looking and feeling great than with regularly scheduled dental exams. In Palatine, IL, your whole family can get the checkups they need at Total Dentistry. In addition to comprehensive exams that include cancer and gum disease screenings, we offer thorough cleanings to help remove traces of plaque and tartar. Reach out today to schedule your appointment.
During your first visit to our office, your dentist will perform a comprehensive exam. Afterward, at regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of Diagnostic X-Rays (Radiographs): This step is essential when it comes to detecting decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral Cancer Screenings: We will check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum Disease Evaluation: We will check the gums and bone around your teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of Tooth Decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of Existing Restorations: Your dentist will check your current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Orthodontic Screening
- TMJ Screening
- Blood Pressure Evaluation
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are performed by registered dental hygienists or your dentist. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Calculus (Tartar) Removal. Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Plaque Removal. Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth Polishing. We remove any stain and plaque that was not removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Contact our office today to schedule dental exams for yourself or a loved one. We proudly serve residents of Palatine, Illinois, and nearby areas.